The Department of Public Service prepares a variety of plans, reports and informational materials for use by consumers, utilities, and others.
The Department is required by Vermont Statutes to produce three state plans:
The Comprehensive Energy Plan addresses all energy resources and covers a period of 20 years, with updates at least every five years.
The Vermont Electric Plan is state government's public policy document for Vermont's electric utility industry.
The Department of Public Service, in coordination with the Department of Innovation and Information and the Agency of Commerce and Community Development, produces a ten-year plan that serves as the basis for state telecommunications policy.
Guide to the § 248a Process
This guide is intended to walk readers through the Public Utility Commission's process for the siting and construction of telecommunications facilities and explains the role individuals and towns can play in the process. Also informative are the procedures the Commission has adopted for processing § 248a petitions.
The Department is required by Act 174 to issue recommendations for regional and municipal energy planning and standards for issuing a determination of energy compliance pursuant to 24 V.S.A. § 4352.
The Department is preparing a report, pursuant to Act 53, on the issue of deploying energy storage on the Vermont electric transmission and distribution system.
The Department completed a "Total Energy Study" to identify the most promising policy and technology pathways to employ in order to reach Vermont's energy and greenhouse gas goals. This study was required by Act 170 of 2012.. Go to the Total Energy Study page to download the report and supporting documentation and learn more about the process that developed it.
Published monthly, the Vermont Fuel Price Report is a summary of the Department's survey of Vermont fuel suppliers. The report highlights changes in recent and historical prices, comparison of cost of different fuels and a summary of the national supply and price status released by the U.S. Department of Energy, Energy Information Agency. Copies of the current and historical reports are available electronically in PDF format. The Vermont Fuel Price Report is available electronically in PDF format.
Under 30 V.S.A. §24, the Department is required to prepare a Biennial Report for the General Assembly. For information about the most recent biennial report, see the Vermont Public Service Department Biennial Report, July 1, 2006 - June 30, 2010 (July 2011). This combined Biennial Report describes highlights of the Department's activities covering two biennia - July 1, 2006 through June 30, 2008; and July 1, 2008 through June 30, 2010.
Utility Facts Report
The 2013 publication now includes a section on total energy use and consumption, a section devoted to electric and thermal efficiency, and a section profiling the regulated utility sector. These additions will join existing sections devoted to electricity, natural gas, telecommunications, and water. Each section includes data tables, charts, and references that we hope will provide a common set of energy and telecommunication information.
Utility kWh Report
- Act 130 Complaints about Alleged Violations of the Terms and Conditions of CPGs 2017 Annual Report
- Act 130, Sec. 5f (2016): Annual Report on Public Advocacy
- Act 199 Study on Manufacturing Competitiveness and Energy
- 2016 Report on Savings Realized Through the Use of Smart Meters Pursuant to 30 VSA 2811 (c)
- Act 56, Sec. 21b (2015): Report on Ratepayer Advocate Offices
- Act 199 of 2014 Status report on Act 199 investigation of manufacturing competitiveness and electricity costs
- Act 99 of 2014 Report to the Vermont Legislature on SPEED and Renewable Portfolio Standards
- Act 99 of 2014 Evaluation of Net Metering in Vermont
- Utility Bill Payment by Debit or Credit Card Report
- Act 125 of 2012 Report on Net Metering
- Act 169, as it amends 30 V.S.A. § 7515(b)(6): High Cost Study - FCC Impact Report
- Act 169, as it amends 30 V.S.A. § 7515(b)(8): High Cost Study - VUSF Audit Report
- Act 169, as it amends 30 V.S.A. § 7515(b)(8): High Cost Study - VUSF Costs and Profitibility Report
- Act 169, as it amends 30 V.S.A. § 7515(b)(8): High Cost Study - VUSF Goals and Policy Options Report
- Act 169, Section 4: Prepaid Wireless VUSF Report
- Act 170: Smart Meter RF Measurement Report
- Act 50: Recommendations Regarding the Curtailment of In-State Electric Generation Plants
- Act 165: A Biennial Report to the Vermont General Assembly on Procedures for Facilitating Development of Small and Micro Hydroelectric Projects (2016)
- Act 165: A Report to the General Assembly on Progress Toward an MOU Program for Expediting Development of Small and Microhydroelectric Projects (2014)
- Act 170: Report on the Savings Realized Through the Use of Smart Meters
- Act 170: Scientific and Public Health Agency Perspectives on Radio Frequency Fields Related to Smart Meters
If you want to purchase any of the publications listed above, or if you want information about other documents available at the Department, please Contact Us.