- 2022 Comprehensive Energy Plan
- Executive Summary
- Appendix A: State Agency Energy Plan Statutory Authority (3 V.S.A. § 2291)
- Appendix B: Act 174 Energy Planning Standards for Regions and Municipalities
- Appendix C: 2022 Annual Report on the Renewable Energy Standard
- Appendix D: Analysis of Greenhouse Gas Emission Reduction Pathways for Vermont (LEAP Modeling Report)
- Appendix E: Summary Slides on LEAP Modeling Report
- Energy Model: The Model Uses SEI's LEAP software. Step 1: Register for Free LEAP Account, Step 2: Download Software and Model
- January 21, 2022 Presentation of the 2022 CEP before the House Energy & Technology Committee
- Guidance for Integrated Resource Plans and 202(f) Determination Requests (April 2023)
The Department of Public Service (PSD) is updating the Vermont Comprehensive Energy Plan (CEP) and Electric Plan. The Department will host a series of public engagement activities to garner insights and comments from citizens and stakeholders around the state. The following plan describes the public engagement activities that will be undertaken over the next year leading to the final publication of the CEP in January 2022. More details can be found in the "Updates" section below.
The Comprehensive Energy Plan is required by 30 V.S.A. § 202b and the Vermont Electric Energy Plan is required by 30 V.S.A. § 202. The Electric Energy Plan will be contained in the CEP, which is required to be submitted to the General Assembly no later than January 15, 2022. The PSD will coordinate closely with other state agencies and the newly constituted Climate Council created through the Global Warming Solutions Act (Act 153 of 2020) to ensure that the CEP advances policy objectives across multiple areas.
Public Engagement Opportunities
For the draft CEP to reflect current understanding of the state’s energy challenges, opportunities, and direction, the PSD will solicit public, expert, and stakeholder input through the summer of 2021. This public input may be submitted to the Department in the form of written comments, or via public meetings and smaller events with individuals and stakeholders representing a wide variety of perspectives. Public input for the 2022 update of the CEP will be solicited by the PSD in two phases:
- Public process and input to inform the writing of the draft CEP in spring 2021
- Public process and comment after the release of the draft CEP in fall 2021
Throughout the revision process for updating the CEP, the Department will provide access to draft documents, schedules for upcoming events, relevant meeting materials and other CEP-related information on this webpage.
WRITTEN COMMENTS: As part of the public comment process, the Department will accept written comments at PSD.ComprehensiveEnergyPlan@vermont.gov, and also by US mail.
December 23, 2021: Written Comments Available for Review
Written comments on the draft CEP are available for review at this link.
December 2, 2021: Reminder - Public Hearings for Comment on Draft Plan
In-person public hearings will take place in St. Johnsbury, Randolph, Rutland, Brattleboro, and Williston over the next two weeks.
Dates and locations are listed on the webpage for the draft plan.
November 19, 2021: Draft Plan Released for Public Comment
The draft 2022 Comprehensive Energy Plan (CEP) is now available. The PSD seeks public comments on the draft plan until December 20, 2021.
The Plan and Executive Summary are available on the Release of the Draft 2022 Comprehensive Energy Plan webpage.
Online public meetings are scheduled for November 30 and December 1 (registration required), and in-person public hearings will take place in St. Johnsbury, Randolph, Rutland, Brattleboro, and Williston.
September 20, 2021: Public Meetings on the Vermont Climate Action Plan
The Department of Public Service coordinated with the Vermont Climate Council on a series of public meetings in September and October to garner comments from participants regarding both the Climate Action Plan (CAP), which is now available from the Climate Council and the Comprehensive Energy Plan (CEP) being developed by the PSD. In August, the PSD coordinated with the Climate Council on a series of Technical Workshops focused on electricity, buildings/thermal sector, and transportation.
- Tuesday, October 5, 2021, 6-7:30 pm: Virtual event via Zoom for BIPOC communities
- Please RSVP for the meeting. A zoom link will be sent prior to the meeting.
- Wednesday, October 6, 2021, 6-7:30 pm: Virtual event via Zoom: https://us06web.zoom.us/j/86014071130?pwd=cmNOTjJoTDd2dzNXV3JxWlBNS1VjZz09
- Meeting ID: 860 1407 1130
- Passcode: 465667
- One tap mobile
- +16465588656,,86014071130#,,,,*465667# US (New York)
- +13017158592,,86014071130#,,,,*465667# US (Washington DC)
- Find your local number: https://us06web.zoom.us/u/keeGbaXsxD
- Tuesday, September 21, 5-7pm: Elmore State Park Pavilion | 856 VT-12, Elmore, VT
- Wednesday, September 22, 5-7pm: Emerald Lake State Park Pavilion | 65 Emerald Lake Ln, East Dorset, VT
- Thursday, September 23, 5-7pm: Lakeside Park Pavilion | 32 Mill St, Island Pond, VT
- Sunday, September 26, 3-5pm: Airport Park Pavilion | 500 Colchester Point Rd, Colchester, VT
- Thursday, September 30, 6-7:30pm: Virtual event via Zoom: https://us06web.zoom.us/j/89988062868?pwd=RXI3SFdDbG52TG1KTG95RFVmTGZpdz09
- Meeting ID: 899 8806 2868
- Passcode: 192872
- One tap mobile:
- +13017158592,,89988062868#,,,,*192872# US (Washington DC)
- +13126266799,,89988062868#,,,,*192872# US (Chicago)
- Find your local number: https://us06web.zoom.us/u/kv6uW1eMe
During August, the Department hosted a series of sector-specific technical workshops, in partnership with members of the Cross-Sector Mitigation Subcommittee of the Vermont Climate Council, to support the development of the Comprehensive Energy Plan and Climate Action Plan. Videos of these forums are now linked below.
Each workshop included a mix of presentations and facilitated discussion sessions. The dates, draft agendas, and participation details for the forums follow:
- Electric Sector Workshop: August 10, 2021 from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Thermal/Buildings Workshop: August 19, 2021 from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Transportation Workshop: Thursday, August 26, 2021 from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
The Department respectfully requests that participants in workshops review the Etiquette Guidelines for Vermont Comprehensive Energy Plan Public Meetings.
The Department hosted four virtual regional forums focused on energy planning efforts by Regional Planning Commissions and municipalities. The forums were specifically designed for those involved in energy planning efforts at the local level, to provide input on the key energy issues, elements, challenges, and considerations unique to their area of Vermont. The dates and participation details for the forums follow:
- Southeastern Forum: June 1, 2021 4:00 to 6:00 PM
Northern Forum: June 2, 2021 4:00 to 6:00 PM
Southwestern Forum: June 8, 2021 4:00 to 6:00 PM
Central Forum: June 28, 2021 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM
The Zoom information for all four forums is:
- Link to join: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/6050832511
- To join by phone, dial 929-205-6099. Webinar ID: 605 083 2511#. No participant ID/passcode is required.
The Department also respectfully requests that participants review the Etiquette Guidelines for Vermont Comprehensive Energy Plan Public Meetings.
Request for Proposals
The Department extended the window for questions and answers under the Request for Proposals for the Public Involvement Facilitator (see below). The new deadline for questions to be received by PSD is Thursday, February 25, 2021. PSD will respond to questions by Friday, February 26, 2021. The deadline for submissions has been extended to Wednesday, March 3, 2021.
- February 5, 2021: The Department issued a Request for Proposals (RFP) for a qualified contractor to provide highly engaged, efficient, and effective process assistance with the solicitation, management, and compilation of public input for the duration of the CEP update process undertaken over the next year, leading to the final publication of the CEP in January 2022.
Please see the RFP document for details on the anticipated scope of work and timelines needed to obtain stakeholder responses and meet the Department’s statutory obligations.
-RFP ISSUE DATE: Friday, February 5, 2021
-RESPONDENT QUESTIONS DUE: Friday, February 12, 2021 by 4:30 PM
-RESPONSES TO QUESTIONS: Friday, February 19, 2021
-RESPONDENT PROPOSALS DUE: Monday, March 1, by 4:30 PM
-CONTACT: Edward Delhagen, 802-828-4099, firstname.lastname@example.org
Request for Information
- January 8, 2021: The deadline for public input in response to the Request for Information has been extended to February 15, 2021. The Request for Information has been updated to reflect the new deadline (no other modifications were made). Comments should be sent to PSD.ComprehensiveEnergyPlan@vermont.gov.
- December 8, 2020: The Vermont Public Service Department has issued this Request for Information asking for public input to help update the Vermont Comprehensive Energy Plan (CEP) required by 30 V.S.A. §202b. This is an opportunity for the public to participate in identifying and clarifying policy and technology pathways to reach Vermont’s energy goals. The Department welcomes comments on the above issues and any others that may be identified. Please send written comments by February 1, 2021 [this has been extended to February 15, 2021 - see above] to PSD.ComprehensiveEnergyPlan@vermont.gov.