The Department of Public Service (PSD) has started the process of reviewing and updating the Vermont Comprehensive Energy Plan (CEP) and Electric Plan. The Department will host a series of public engagement activities to garner insights and comments from citizens and stakeholders around the state. The following plan describes the public engagement activities that will be undertaken over the next year leading to the final publication of the CEP in January 2022. More details can be found in the "Updates" section below.
The Comprehensive Energy Plan is required by 30 V.S.A. § 202b and the Vermont Electric Energy Plan is required by 30 V.S.A. § 202. The Electric Energy Plan will be contained in the CEP, which is required to be submitted to the General Assembly no later than January 15, 2022. The PSD will coordinate closely with other state agencies and the newly constituted Climate Council created through the Global Warming Solutions Act (Act 153 of 2020) to ensure that the CEP advances policy objectives across multiple areas.
Public Engagement Opportunities
For the draft CEP to reflect current understanding of the state’s energy challenges, opportunities, and direction, the PSD will solicit public, expert, and stakeholder input through the summer of 2021. This public input may be submitted to the Department in the form of written comments, or via public meetings and smaller events with individuals and stakeholders representing a wide variety of perspectives. Public input for the 2022 update of the CEP will be solicited by the PSD in two phases:
- Public process and input to inform the writing of the draft CEP in spring 2021
- Public process and comment after the release of the draft CEP in summer 2021
Throughout the revision process for updating the CEP, the Department will provide access to draft documents, schedules for upcoming events, relevant meeting materials and other CEP-related information on this webpage. As part of the public comment process, the Department will accept written comments at PSD.ComprehensiveEnergyPlan@vermont.gov, and also by US mail.
- May 21, 2021: The Department will host four virtual regional forums focused on energy planning efforts by Regional Planning Commissions and municipalities. Please consider attending the forum if you are involved in energy planning efforts at the local level and would like to provide input on the key energy issues, elements, challenges, and considerations unique to your area of Vermont. The dates and participation details for the forums are:
- Southeastern Forum: June 1, 2021 4:00 to 6:00 PM
Northern Forum: June 2, 2021 4:00 to 6:00 PM
Southwestern Forum: June 8, 2021 4:00 to 6:00 PM
Central Forum: June 28, 2021 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM
- Chittenden County Regional Planning Commission
- Central Vermont Regional Planning Commission
The Zoom information for all four forums is:
- Link to join: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/6050832511
- To join by phone, dial 929-205-6099. Webinar ID: 605 083 2511#. No participant ID/passcode is required.
- The Department also respectfully requests that participants review the etiquette guidelines for Vermont Comprehensive Energy Plan public meetings.
- Southeastern Forum: June 1, 2021 4:00 to 6:00 PM
- February 23, 2021: The Department has extended the window for questions and answers under the Request for Proposals for the Public Involvement Facilitator (see below). The new deadline for questions to be received by PSD is Thursday, February 25, 2021. PSD will respond to questions by Friday, February 26, 2021. The deadline for submissions has been extended to Wednesday, March 3, 2021.
- February 5, 2021: The Department has issued a Request for Proposals (RFP) for a qualified contractor to provide highly engaged, efficient, and effective process assistance with the solicitation, management, and compilation of public input for the duration of the CEP update process undertaken over the next year, leading to the final publication of the CEP in January 2022.
Please see the RFP document for details on the anticipated scope of work and timelines needed to obtain stakeholder responses and meet the Department’s statutory obligations.
-RFP ISSUE DATE: Friday, February 5, 2021
-RESPONDENT QUESTIONS DUE: Friday, February 12, 2021 by 4:30 PM
-RESPONSES TO QUESTIONS: Friday, February 19, 2021
-RESPONDENT PROPOSALS DUE: Monday, March 1, by 4:30 PM
-CONTACT: Edward Delhagen, 802-828-4099, firstname.lastname@example.org
- January 8, 2021: The deadline for public input in response to the Request for Information has been extended to February 15, 2021. The Request for Information has been updated to reflect the new deadline (no other modifications were made). Comments should be sent to PSD.ComprehensiveEnergyPlan@vermont.gov.
- December 8, 2020: The Vermont Public Service Department has issued this Request for Information asking for public input to help update the Vermont Comprehensive Energy Plan (CEP) required by 30 V.S.A. §202b. This is an opportunity for the public to participate in identifying and clarifying policy and technology pathways to reach Vermont’s energy goals. The Department welcomes comments on the above issues and any others that may be identified. Please send written comments by February 1, 2021 [this has been extended to February 15, 2021 - see above] to PSD.ComprehensiveEnergyPlan@vermont.gov.