The 19 member Nuclear Decommissioning Citizens Advisory Panel (NDCAP) was established by Act 178 of the 2014 Vermont legislative session to replace the seven-member Vermont State Nuclear Advisory Panel (VSNAP) that had been in place since the sale of Vermont Yankee to Entergy in 2002. NDCAP includes six citizen members, two each to be appointed by the Governor, the Senate Pro-Tem and the House Speaker, as well as representation from several additional Vermont Yankee decommissioning stakeholder organizations.
- VT Legislation that establishes NDCAP
- Panel Members as of January 2019
- Panel Duties & Original Panel Members
- Amended NDCAP Charter (Adopted 2016-05-26)
IMPORTANT NEWS UPDATES
PUC Approves Proposed Vermont Yankee Sale
On December 6, 2018, the Vermont Public Utilities Commission (PUC) approved Entergy’s proposed sale of Vermont Yankee (VY) to subsidiaries of NorthStar Group Services, Inc., as a means of completing VY’s decommissioning and site restoration on an accelerated schedule. The PUC Order, its associated Certificate of Public Good and the Memorandum of Understanding supporting the proposed sale are available in the “Related Vermont Public Utility Commission Docket(s)” section included below.
NRC Approves Proposed Vermont Yankee Sale
On October 11, 2018, the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) approved the proposed transfer of Vermont Yankee (VY) licenses from Entergy to subsidiaries of NorthStar Group Services, Inc., which will facilitate VY’s decommissioning and site restoration on an accelerated schedule. Before the VY license transfers can occur, NorthStar must demonstrate to the NRC that several conditions specified in the approval have been met. One of these conditions requires that NorthStar obtain a Certificate of Public Good from the Vermont Public Utilities Commission approving the VY sale. These conditions are described in the following NRC documents:
History of the Vermont Yankee Sale Agreement
Entergy first announced an agreement to sell VY and transfer its NRC licenses to NorthStar on November 8, 2016. Details of this proposed transaction are available in the following documents:
A “pre-submittal” public meeting at was held NRC Headquarters (Rockville, MD) on January 24, 2017.
The presentation material from this meeting follows:
- Entergy-NorthStar Presentation (ML17019A145)
- NRC 2017-01-24 Presentation on VY License Transfer Process
- NRC Meeting Summary Notes
At its January 26, 2017 meeting, NDCAP voted to request an NRC public meeting in southern Vermont to discuss the proposed Vermont Yankee sale and license transfer to NorthStar.
Entergy's License Transfer Request was submitted to the NRC on February 9, 2017.
NorthStar submitted a Revised VY Post-Shutdown Decommissioning Activities Report (PSDAR) for the accelerated decommissioning and site restoration on April 6, 2017. Entergy’s December 2014 Post-Shutdown Decommissioning Activities Report is heavily referenced by the NorthStar PSDAR.
Related Vermont Public Utility Commission Docket(s)
- Docket 8880 - Transfer of Ownership of Entergy Nuclear Vermont Yankee
NDCAP Meeting Archives
Upcoming NDCAP Meetings
Thursday, January 24, 2019, 6:00 pm – 8:45 pm
SNOW DATE: Thursday, January 31, 2019, 6:00 pm – 8:45 pm
Vernon Elementary School Cafeteria
381 Governor Hunt Road, Vernon, VT
In the event that the January 24 Panel meeting is postponed due to adverse weather conditions, a cancellation notice will be published on this website. Meeting attendees are encouraged to check this website for the latest information prior to travelling to the meeting site.
** CURRENT MEETING STATUS **
The January 2019 NDCAP Meeting will take place as scheduled on January 24, 2019.
Meeting Status last updated: January 16, 2019 @ 8:35 AM
The Panel will hear reports on the recent NRC and PUC rulings approving the sale of Vermont Yankee (VY) to NorthStar. State Agency oversight roles, public reporting requirements, and public engagement opportunities during VY's decommissioning will be discussed. The Panel will also finalize its 2018 Annual Report to the Vermont Legislature. The complete Agenda for this meeting is available in the “Meeting of January 24, 2019” section below.
All meetings of the Vermont Nuclear Decommissioning Citizens Advisory Panel are open to the public.
Remote Access will be available for the January 2019 Panel meeting. Please email Tony Leshinskie, Vermont State Nuclear Engineer at firstname.lastname@example.org or via PSD.NDCAP@vermont.gov to request a remote access connection. Remote access requests should be made no later than 5:00 pm on January 23, 2019.
The video recording, agenda, and meeting materials for the Panel’s most recent (December 6, 2018) meeting are available below.
Public comments and questions regarding Vermont Yankee’s decommissioning may be emailed to the Panel at PSD.NDCAP@vermont.gov.
All emails sent to NDCAP become public record.
Meeting of January 24, 2019
- Final Agenda 1-24-2019
- NDCAP 2018 Revised Draft Annual Report
Meeting of December 6, 2018
- Final Agenda 12-6-2018
- Video (BCTV) of the Meeting
- Draft Meeting Minutes 12-06-2018
- NDCAP 2018 Draft Annual Report
Meeting of September 27, 2018
- Final Agenda 9-27-2018
- Video (BCTV) of the Meeting
- VTNDCAP Approved Minutes 09.27.2018
- VTNDCAP Draft Minutes 05.24.2018 for Approval
- Entergy September 2018 Decommissioning Status Presentation
Meeting of June 28, 2018
- Final Agenda 06-28-2018
Texas Low-Level Radioactive Waste Compact Commission Presentation
- US Department of Energy Spent Fuel Transportation Status Presentation
Meeting of May 24, 2018
- Final Agenda 5-24-2018
- NDCAP 2017 Draft Annual Report
Meeting of March 22, 2018
- Final Agenda 3-22-2018
- Video (BCTV) of the Meeting
- Entergy March 2018 Decommissioning Status Presentation to NDCAP
- Entergy March 2018 VY Sale Settlement-MOU Presentation to NDCAP
- State of Vermont March 2018 VY Sale Settlement-MOU Presentation to NDCAP
- New England Coalition March 2018 VY Sale Settlement-MOU Comments
- Waste Control Specialists March 2018 Consolidated Interim Storage Presentation to NDCAP
- Proposed Nuclear Plant Decommissioning Act of 2018
Approved Advisory Opinions
- NDCAP Advisory Opinion - Engaging Host Communities - Adopted 11.12.15
- NDCAP Advisory Opinion – Construction of a Second VY Spent Fuel Storage Pad – Adopted 02.25.16