The 19 member Vermont Nuclear Decommissioning Citizens Advisory Panel (VT NDCAP) was established by Act 178 of the 2014 Vermont legislative session to replace the seven-member Vermont State Nuclear Advisory Panel (VSNAP) that had been in place while Vermont Yankee produced electricity. Act 54 of the 2021 Vermont legislative session modified the composition of VT NDCAP and revised its funding mechanism. VT NDCAP includes six citizen members, two each to be appointed by the Governor, the Senate President Pro Tempore and the House Speaker, as well as representation from eleven additional Vermont Yankee decommissioning stakeholder organizations.
- 2014 VT Legislation Establishing NDCAP
- 2021 VT Legislation Revising NDCAP Composition, Duties and Funding
- Panel Members as of September 2021
- Amended NDCAP Charter (Adopted 2016-05-26)
FOR INFORMATION ON UPCOMING MEETINGS, go to the "Upcoming NDCAP Meetings" section below. Meeting materials (including meeting agendas) are posted in the Meeting Materials section as they become available. Information on VT NDCAP's Federal Nuclear Waste Policy Committee is available here.
IMPORTANT NEWS UPDATES
Post Pandemic VT NDCAP Meetings
With the expiration of Governor Scott’s “Stay Home, Stay Safe” orders, all future NDCAP meetings will require an announced physical meeting space, even if the meeting will be conducted primarily as a webcast or teleconference. Meeting locations will be announced in compliance with Vermont Open Meeting Law. Meeting connection information will be made available for all members of the public wishing to join the meeting remotely.
NDCAP 2020 Annual Report Approved
The Panel’s 2020 Annual Report was finalized and published on January 15, 2021.
Vermont Yankee Sale Completed
On January 11, 2019, Entergy’s sale of Vermont Yankee (VY) to subsidiaries of NorthStar Group Services, Inc., was completed. Vermont Yankee ownership now consists of NorthStar Nuclear Decommissioning Company, LLC and NorthStar Vermont Yankeed, LLC.
- NRC License Amendment Recognizing VY Sale Completion
- Docket 8880 - Transfer of Ownership of Entergy Nuclear Vermont Yankee
NDCAP Meeting Archives
MEETINGS OF THE VT NDCAP FEDERAL NUCLEAR WASTE POLICY COMMITTEE
Meeting dates, connectivity information, and further details for VT NDCAP’s Federal Nuclear Waste Policy Committee meetings are available at the Committee Webpage. Meeting recordings and additional materials from the Committee’s prior meetings are also available at the Committee Webpage.
Members of the public are encouraged to provide written comments and suggested nuclear waste policy reading materials to the Committee via VT NDCAP’s email address at PSD.NDCAP@vermont.gov. All emails sent to the Committee become public record.
Questions regarding these Committee meetings may be directed to State Nuclear Engineer Tony Leshinskie at firstname.lastname@example.org or 802-272-1714.
MEETING OF THE FULL PANEL
Monday, September 20, 2021 6:00 pm – 9:15 pm
Webcast & Epsilon Spires Social Engagement Room
190 Main Street, Brattleboro, VT 05301
The Full Panel will hold its third meeting of 2021 on Monday evening, September 20, 2021 from 6:00 PM to 9:15 PM.
This meeting will be conducted primarily as a Microsoft Teams webcast and teleconference. However, in accordance with Vermont Open Meeting Law, members of the public may meet at 190 Main Street, Brattleboro, VT to participate in this meeting. (Access to the meeting room is available from the rear of the Epsilon Spires building; a handicap-accessible entrance to the meeting room is available in the driveway on the north side of the building.) In the interests of health and safety, we request that only COVID-19 vaccinated individuals attend this meeting in person. If you are unvaccinated or feeling ill, please join the meeting via webcast in lieu of attending in person. In compliance with the Town of Brattleboro Selectboard’s August 17 resolution, attendees are strongly encouraged to wear facemasks. Social Distancing will be enforced. As part of this enforcement, in-person attendance will be limited to 35 people.
In addition to receiving updates from NorthStar and State Agencies on recent Vermont Yankee Decommissioning Activities, the Panel will hear a report on low level radioactive waste disposal from the Texas Low Level Radioactive Waste Disposal Compact Commission. (Vermont Yankee radwaste is shipped to the Commission’s facility in Andrews County, TX.) The Panel will also discuss the activities to date of its Federal Nuclear Waste Policy Committee. A complete meeting agenda is available in the Meeting Materials section below.
Remote access for this meeting will be available through the following Microsoft Teams webcast and teleconference:
This is the same weblink that was used for the June 14, 2021 VT NDCAP meeting. This weblink will broadcast both the audio and video portions of the meeting. The following dial-in lines may also be used for the audio connection (suggested for those with poor internet connectivity):
Phone number: (802) 828-7228 -or- (802) 552-8456
Conference Room Number: 978 479 256 (followed by the “#” sign)
Members of the public who anticipate speaking during public comment periods are encouraged to register in advanced by emailing PSD.NDCAP@vermont.gov.
The following short tutorial videos are suggested for those who are unfamiliar with using the Microsoft Teams meeting interface:
Join a Teams meeting from a web-browser:
Join a Teams meeting from the Microsoft Teams app (shows two additional options for joining a Teams meeting):
Additional instructions for joining a Teams meeting and using the User Interface are available here:
To cut down on background noise, all meeting attendees are encouraged to self-mute when not speaking. (Click on the microphone icon on the video interface or press “*6” on your phone.) Meeting attendees are also requested to disable their video feed when not speaking during the meeting.
Meeting materials will be added to the Meeting Materials section as they become available. All presentations will be available for electronic viewing prior to the start of the meeting. (Downloading the presentations prior to the meeting start is suggested for those with for those with poor internet connectivity.) Meeting materials and video recordings for all recent Panel meetings are also available in this section.
Questions or comments on the meeting presentations or any subject relevant to Vermont Yankee’s decommissioning may be sent to the Panel before, during or after the meeting by emailing PSD.NDCAP@vermont.gov. All emails sent to NDCAP become public record.
Questions regarding this meeting may be directed to State Nuclear Engineer Tony Leshinskie at email@example.com or 802-272-1714.
MEETING OF THE NDCAP ISSUES COMMITTEE
The Vermont Nuclear Decommissioning Citizens Advisory Panel (VT NDCAP) Issues Committee meets to identify potential agenda items for future meetings of the Full Panel. The next Issues Committee meeting will be announced at a future date.
Webcast recordings and meeting notes for recent Issues Committee Special Meetings are available in the Meeting Materials section below.
All meetings of the Vermont Nuclear Decommissioning Citizens Advisory Panel (including its committee meeting) are open to the public. For further details regarding any VT NDCAP Full Panel or committee meeting, please contact State Nuclear Engineer Tony Leshinskie at firstname.lastname@example.org or 802-272-1714.
All emails sent to VT NDCAP or its committees become public record.
Meeting of September 20, 2021
- Meeting Agenda 9-20-2021
- VTNDCAP First Draft Meeting Minutes 09.20.2021
- BCTV Meeting Recording
- Texas Low Level Radioactive Waste Disposal Compact Commission Presentation
- Federal Nuclear Waste Policy Committee Draft Report
- NorthStar September 2021 Decommissioning Status Update
- VT Agency of Natural Resources September 2021 Update
- VT Public Service Department September 2021 Update
- 2022 Proposed NDCAP Budget
Meeting of June 14, 2021
- Meeting Agenda 6-14-2021 (Revised)
- VTNDCAP First Draft Meeting Minutes 06.14.2021
- MS Teams Raw Meeting Recording
- NorthStar June 2021 Decommissioning Status Update
- VT Public Service Department June 2021 Update
- VT Agency of Natural Resources June 2021 Update
Meeting of April 12, 2021
- Meeting Agenda 4-12-2021
- VTNDCAP Draft Meeting Minutes 04.12.2021
- BCTV Meeting Recording
- NorthStar March 2021 Decommissioning Status Update
- VT Agency of Natural Resources March 2021 Update
- VT Department of Health March 2021 Update
- VT Public Service Department March 2021 Update
- 04.12.2021 Teams Meeting Chat
- 04.12.2021 Written Comments Received
Meeting of December 7, 2020
- Final Agenda 12-7-2020
- VTNDCAP Approved Meeting Minutes 12.07.2020
- BCTV Meeting Recording
- NorthStar Statement on VT-PUC Petition 20-3458
- NorthStar December 2020 Decommissioning Status Update
- VT Agency of Natural Resources December 2020 Update
- VT Public Service Dept December 2020 Update
- Interim Storage Advisory Opinion Discussion Material
- 2020 Annual Report Draft
- 12.07.2020 Teams Meeting Chat
- 12.07.2020 Written Comments Received
- Committee Meeting Webcast Recording
- Potential December 7, 2020 Agenda Items
- 2015 Spent Fuel Storage Letter
- Panel Advisory Opinion Process
Meeting of September 21, 2020
- Final Agenda 9-21-2020
- VTNDCAP Approved Meeting Minutes 09.21.2020
- BCTV Meeting Recording
- NorthStar September 2020 Decommissioning Status Update
- VT Agency of Natural Resources September 2020 Update
- VT Public Service Dept September 2020 Update
- Nuclear Decommissioning Collaborative Presentation on National Spent Fuel Policy
- Draft Outline for 2020 Annual Report
- 09.21.2020 Teams Meeting Chat
- 09.21.2020 Written Comments Received
Issues Committee Meeting of June 3, 2020
- Committee Meeting Notes 06-03-2020
- Committee Meeting Audio Recording
- Potential September 21, 2020 Agenda Items
Approved Advisory Opinions
- NDCAP Advisory Opinion - Engaging Host Communities - Adopted 11.12.15
- NDCAP Advisory Opinion – Construction of a Second VY Spent Fuel Storage Pad – Adopted 02.25.16