The 19 member Nuclear Decommissioning Citizens Advisory Panel (NDCAP) was established by Act 178 of the 2014 Vermont legislative session to replace the seven-member Vermont State Nuclear Advisory Panel (VSNAP) that had been in place since the sale of Vermont Yankee to Entergy in 2002. NDCAP includes six citizen members, two each to be appointed by the Governor, the Senate Pro-Tem and the House Speaker, as well as representation from several additional Vermont Yankee decommissioning stakeholder organizations.
- VT Legislation that establishes NDCAP
- Panel Members as of May 2018
- Panel Duties & Original Panel Members
- Amended NDCAP Charter (Adopted 2016-05-26)
IMPORTANT NEWS UPDATES
Entergy Announces Vermont Yankee Sale Agreement
On November 8, 2016, Entergy announced an agreement to sell Vermont Yankee (VY) and transfer its US Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) licenses to subsidiaries of NorthStar Group Services, Inc., as a means of accelerating VY’s decommissioning and site restoration. Entergy has also announced plans to accelerate the transfer of all spent nuclear fuel to dry cask storage at the VY site from 2020 to 2018.
Former Vermont governor Peter Shumlin’s statement on Entergy’s announcement is available here.
Entergy and NorthStar held a “pre-submittal” public meeting at NRC Headquarters (in Rockville, MD) with NRC staff on January 24, 2017, to discuss VY’s proposed sale and reactor license transfer to NorthStar.
The presentation material from this meeting follows:
- Entergy-NorthStar Presentation (ML17019A145)
- NRC 2017-01-24 Presentation on VY License Transfer Process
- NRC Meeting Summary Notes
At its January 26, 2017 meeting, NDCAP voted to send a letter to the NRC requesting that a public meeting be held in southern Vermont to discuss the proposed Vermont Yankee sale and license transfer to NorthStar.
A copy of this letter is available here.
Entergy's License Transfer Request was submitted to the NRC on February 9, 2017.
NorthStar submitted a Revised VY Post-Shutdown Decommissioning Activities Report (PSDAR) for the accelerated decommissioning and site restoration on April 6, 2017. Entergy’s December 2014 Post-Shutdown Decommissioning Activities Report is heavily referenced by the NorthStar PSDAR.
Public comments regarding Entergy’s License Transfer Request may be electronically submitted to the NRC by clicking here.
Related Vermont Public Utility Commission Docket(s)
- Docket 8880 - Transfer of Ownership of Entergy Nuclear Vermont Yankee
NDCAP Meeting Archives
Upcoming NDCAP Meetings
Thursday, December 6, 2018
Information regarding meeting location, time, agenda, and remote access will be forthcoming.
Public comments and questions regarding Vermont Yankee’s decommissioning may be emailed to the Panel at PSD.NDCAP@vermont.gov.
All emails sent to NDCAP become public record.
Meeting of September 27, 2018
Meeting of June 28, 2018
- Final Agenda 06-28-2018
Texas Low-Level Radioactive Waste Compact Commission Presentation
- US Department of Energy Spent Fuel Transportation Status Presentation
Meeting of May 24, 2018
- Final Agenda 5-24-2018
- NDCAP 2017 Draft Annual Report
Meeting of March 22, 2018
- Final Agenda 3-22-2018
- Video (BCTV) of the Meeting
- Entergy March 2018 Decommissioning Status Presentation to NDCAP
- Entergy March 2018 VY Sale Settlement-MOU Presentation to NDCAP
- State of Vermont March 2018 VY Sale Settlement-MOU Presentation to NDCAP
- New England Coalition March 2018 VY Sale Settlement-MOU Comments
- Waste Control Specialists March 2018 Consolidated Interim Storage Presentation to NDCAP
- Proposed Nuclear Plant Decommissioning Act of 2018
Approved Advisory Opinions
- NDCAP Advisory Opinion - Engaging Host Communities - Adopted 11.12.15
- NDCAP Advisory Opinion – Construction of a Second VY Spent Fuel Storage Pad – Adopted 02.25.16