Agencies Providing Financial Assistance


Vermont 211 is the statewide referral agency that disseminates information regarding financial and other assistance agencies by county. Consumers can find out what agencies in their area are available with regard to paying their utility bills or if they have other needs by calling "211" or by visiting the Vermont 211 website.

Additionally, the Consumer Affairs & Public Information (CAPI) Division maintains a list of governmental and private agencies that may provide financial assistance to consumers. (Please note that the list of agencies maintained by CAPI is not all inclusive, and the list will be updated as new financial assistance agencies come to our attention.)

Fuel Assistance

The Fuel Assistance program is administered by the Department for Children and Families (DCF), Economic Services Division. Fuel Assistance can help consumers pay part of their home heating needs whether they own their home or rent an apartment; pay for heat directly or with the rent; rent a room in someone's home; or live in public, subsidized or Section 8 housing where rent includes the cost of heat.

Heating Emergencies (Crisis Fuel Assistance)

Crisis Fuel Assistance (also administered by the Department for Children and Families, Economic Services Division) can help consumers with heating crises during the winter months, such as runing out of fuel (or being close to running out).

Emergency/General Assistance

Emergency/General Assistance (also a DCF program) helps individuals and families with basic needs during an emergency, such as temporary housing, utilities, food and personal need items.