Help with Utility Bills for Renters


Eligible Vermont tenants can apply for utility bill assistance for help with up to twelve months of past due or current bills (up to a $10,000 maximum combined total).

Apply Now 


To participate in the ERAP in Vermont (VERAP), renters must attest that:

  • One or more individuals in the household has experienced a financial hardship due to the COVID-19 pandemic,
  • One or more individuals in the household can demonstrate a risk of experiencing homelessness or housing instability, and
  • The household has an income at or below 80% of county median income 

Covered Utility Types

  • Electricity
  • Natural gas
  • Water and sewer
  • Trash removal
  • Fuel oil and other energy costs
  • Past-due Internet charges, if wired-line service is provided to the rental unit

The VERAP also provides financial assistance for renters to help pay for rent and rental arrears and other expenses related to housing due to the COVID-19 pandemic. For more information about financial rental assistance, please see the VSHA VERAP webpage.

Trainings for applicants (portal trainings and step-by-step walkthroughs)*

*May be recorded. 
Please have questions ready to put in the chat

Training information will include

  • Login with an email or cell phone number
  • Save changes and return as needed before submitting the application
  • How to create a Profile
  • ALL NEW AND RETURNING APPLICANTS will be required to provide a complete Social Security Number or Tax Identification Number for all household members
  • Those without an IRS-issued SSN or TIN can request an alternate ID by contacting the Call Center at: 833-488-3727

Helpful Links