The 19 member Nuclear Decommissioning Citizens Advisory Panel (NDCAP) was established in Act 178 of the 2014 Vermont Legislative Session to replace the 7 member Vermont State Nuclear Advisory Panel (VSNAP) that had been in place since the sale of Vermont Yankee to Entergy in 2002. NDCAP includes 6 citizen members, 2 each to be appointed by the Governor, the Senate Pro-Tem and the House Speaker, as well as representation from several additional Vermont Yankee decommissioning stakeholder organizations.
- VT Legislation that establishes NDCAP
- Panel Members 2017-01-25
- Panel Duties & Original Panel Members
- Amended NDCAP Charter (Adopted 2016.05.26)
Next NDCAP Meeting Information is available here.
IMPORTANT NEWS UPDATES
Entergy Announces Vermont Yankee Sale Agreement
On November 8, 2016, Entergy announced an agreement to sell Vermont Yankee & transfer its US Nuclear Regulatory Commission licenses to subsidiaries of NorthStar Group Services, Inc. as a means of accelerating VY’s decommissioning and site restoration. Entergy has also announced plans to accelerate the transfer of all spent nuclear fuel to dry cask storage at the VY site from 2020 to 2018.
Former Vermont governor Peter Shumlin’s statement on Entergy’s announcement is available here.
Entergy & NorthStar held a “pre-submittal” public meeting at NRC Headfquarters (in Rockville, MD) with NRC Staff on January 24, 2017 to discuss VY’s proposed sale and reactor license transfer to NorthStar.
The Presentation Material from this meeting follows:
- Entergy-NorthStar Presentation (ML17019A145)
- NRC 2017-01-24 Presentation on VY License Transfer Process
- NRC Meeting Summary Notes
At its January 26, 2017 meeting, NDCAP voted to send a letter to the NRC requesting that a public meeting be held in southern Vermont to discuss the proposed Vermont Yankee sale & license transfer to NorthStar.
A copy of this letter is available here.
Entergy's License Transfer Request was submitted to the NRC on February 9, 2017.
NorthStar submitted a Revised VY Post-Shutdown Decommissioning Activities Report (PSDAR) for the accelerated Decommissioning and Site Restoration on April 6, 2017. Entergy’s December 2014 Post-Shutdown Decommissioning Activities Report is heavily referenced by the NorthStar PSDAR.
Public comments regarding Entergy’s License Transfer Request may be electronically submitted to the NRC by clicking here.
Related Vermont Public Service Board Docket(s)
- Docket 8880 - Transfer of Ownership of Entergy Nuclear Vermont Yankee
NDCAP Meeting Archives
Upcoming NDCAP meetings
Special Meeting of the NDCAP Issues Committee
The Issues Committee of the Nuclear Decommissioning Citizens Advisory Panel (NDCAP) will hold a special meeting on Wednesday, June 28, 2017, to begin at 11:00 AM at the Brattleboro Area Chamber of Commerce, 180 Main Street, Brattleboro, VT. The meeting will be held in the Chamber conference room. The Committee will work to establish agendas for future NDCAP meetings.
The Special Meeting is open to the public. The following conference call line is available for those who are unable to attend the meeting in person:
Phone number: 877-273-4202
Conference Room Number: 413-556-721 (followed by the “#” sign)
For further information on this special meeting, please contact Tony Leshinskie, Vermont State Nuclear Engineer at (802) 272-1714 or Anthony.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thursday, September 28, 2017, 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Brattleboro Area Middle School Multi-Purpose Room
109 Sunny Acres, Brattleboro, VT
Presentation material for this meeting will be added to the “Meeting of Septem ber 28, 2017” section of this website (below) as they become available.
All meetings of the Nuclear Decommissioning Citizens Advisory Panel are open to the public.
Remote Access (via GoToWebinar) will be available for the September 28, 2017 meeting. Please email Tony Leshinskie, Vermont State Nuclear Engineer at email@example.com or via PSD.NDCAP@vermont.gov to request a remote access connection. Remote access requests should be made no later than 12 noon on September 27, 2017.
The complete agenda and meeting materials for the Panel’s most recent (June 22) meeting are available below. The video recording will be posted as soon as it becomes available.
Public comments and questions regarding Vermont Yankee’s Decommissioning may be emailed to the Panel at PSD.NDCAP@vermont.gov
All emails sent to NDCAP become public record.
- Meeting of January 26, 2017
- Meeting of March 23, 2017
- Meeting of May 25, 2017
- Meeting of June 22, 2017
- Video (BCTV) of the meeting
- NRC 2017.01.26 NDCAP Presentation on License Transfer
- Entergy January 2017 Decommissioning Status Presentation to NDCAP
- State January 2017 Decommissioning Highlights Presentation to NDCAP
- Entergy January 2017 Proposed VY Sale CPG Overview Presentation
- NDCAP Draft Minutes 12.1.16 Meeting - For Approval
- 2016 Annual Report - For Panel Approval 1.26.17
- Video (BCTV) of the meeting
- NDCAP Draft Minutes 01.26.17 for Approval
- Entergy March 2017 Decommissioning Status Presentation to NDCAP
- State March 2017 Decommissioning Highlights Presentation to NDCAP
- Video (BCTV) of the Meeting
- Revised VY Post-Shutdown Decommissioning Activities Report (PSDAR)
- Entergy’s December 2014 Post-Shutdown Decommissioning Activities Report
- Entergy May 2017 Decommissioning Status Presentation to NDCAP
- Northstar - Entergy VY Decommissiong Plan Overview May 25 2017
- NRC 2017.05.25 NDCAP Presentation May 25 2017 NDCAP FINAL
- NRC-NDCAP 2017.05.25 Meeting Transcript ML17163A424
Meeting of June 22, 2017
- NDCAP Draft Minutes 03.23.17 for Approval
- NDCAP Draft Minutes 05.25.17 for Approval
- 2017.06.13 Multi-State Comments on NRC Decommissioning Rulemaking
- Vermont Motion to Intervene Request on VY License Transfer
Approved Advisory Opinions
- NDCAP Advisory Opinion - Engaging Host Communities - Adopted 11.12.15
- NDCAP Advisory Opinion – Construction of a Second VY Spent Fuel Storage Pad – Adopted 02.25.16