The 19 member Nuclear Decommissioning Citizens Advisory Panel (NDCAP) was established in Act 178 of the 2014 Vermont Legislative Session to replace the 7 member Vermont State Nuclear Advisory Panel (VSNAP) that had been in place since the sale of Vermont Yankee to Entergy in 2002. NDCAP includes 6 citizen members, 2 each to be appointed by the Governor, the Senate Pro-Tem and the House Speaker, as well as representation from several additional Vermont Yankee decommissioning stakeholder organizations.
- VT Legislation that establishes NDCAP
- Panel Members 2017-01-25
- Panel Duties & Original Panel Members
- Amended NDCAP Charter (Adopted 2016.05.26)
Next NDCAP Meeting Information can be found here.
IMPORTANT NEWS UPDATES
Entergy Announces Vermont Yankee Sale Agreement
On November 8, 2016, Entergy announced an agreement to sell Vermont Yankee & transfer its US Nuclear Regulatory Commission licenses to subsidiaries of NorthStar Group Services, Inc. as a means of accelerating VY’s decommissioning and site restoration. Entergy has also announced plans to accelerate the transfer of all spent nuclear fuel to dry cask storage at the VY site from 2020 to 2018.
- Entergy’s Press Release for this announcement is available here.
- Former Vermont governor Peter Shumlin’s statement on Entergy’s announcement is available here.
Entergy & NorthStar held a “pre-submittal” public meeting at NRC Headfquarters (in Rockville, MD) with NRC Staff on January 24, 2017 to discuss VY’s proposed sale and reactor license transfer to NorthStar.
The Presentation Material from this meeting follows:
- Entergy-NorthStar Presentation (ML17019A145)
- NRC 2017-01-24 Presentation on VY License Transfer Process
- NRC Meeting Summary Notes
At its January 26, 2017 meeting, NDCAP voted to send a letter to the NRC requesting that a public meeting be held in southern Vermont to discuss the proposed Vermont Yankee sale & license transfer to NorthStar.
A copy of this letter is available here.
Entergy's submittal to the NRC is available here.
Related Vermont Public Service Board Docket(s)
- Docket 8880 - Transfer of Ownership of Entergy Nuclear Vermont Yankee
NDCAP Meeting Archives
Upcoming NDCAP meetings
Thursday, March 23, 2017, 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Brattleboro Area Middle School Multi-Purpose Room
109 Sunny Acres, Brattleboro, VT
Representatives from the Vermont Public Service Department, Agency of Natural Resources and Attorney General’s Office will provide the state’s overview of the Certificate of Public Good petition that Entergy and NorthStar have filed with the Vermont Public Service Board.
The Vernon Planning Commission will discuss the town’s economic development efforts and future use of the Vermont Yankee site. The Panel will also hear decommissioning updates from the State of Vermont and Entergy.
The complete agenda for the March 23, 2017 meeting can be viewed at March Meeting Agenda
Presentation material for this meeting will be added to the NDCAP webpage at Meeting of March 23, 2017 as it becomes available.
All meetings of the Nuclear Decommissioning Citizens Advisory Panel are open to the public.
Remote Access (via GoToWebinar) will be available for the March 23, 2017 meeting. Please email Tony Leshinskie, Vermont State Nuclear Engineer at firstname.lastname@example.org or via PSD.NDCAP@vermont.gov to request a remote access connection. Remote access requests should be made no later than 12 noon on March 23, 2017.
Public comments and questions regarding Vermont Yankee’s Decommissioning may be emailed to the Panel at:
All emails sent to NDCAP become public record.
- Video (BCTV) of the meeting
- NRC 2017.01.26 NDCAP Presentation on License Transfer
- Entergy January 2017 Decommissioning Status Presentation to NDCAP
- State January 2017 Decommissioning Highlights Presentation to NDCAP
- Entergy January 2017 Proposed VY Sale CPG Overview Presentation
- NDCAP Draft Minutes 12.1.16 Meeting - For Approval
- 2016 Annual Report - For Panel Approval 1.26.17
- NDCAP Draft Minutes 01.26.17 for Approval
- Entergy March 2017 Decommissioning Status Presentation to NDCAP
- State March 2017 Decommissioning Highlights Presentation to NDCAP
Approved Advisory Opinions
- NDCAP Advisory Opinion - Engaging Host Communities - Adopted 11.12.15
- NDCAP Advisory Opinion – Construction of a Second VY Spent Fuel Storage Pad – Adopted 02.25.16