The Vermont Residential Building Energy Standard (RBES) - 30 V.S.A. § 51 affects all new homes built after July 1, 1998. It is the energy code for all residential buildings 3 stories or less above grade in Vermont.
New RBES revisions took effect in 2015 and apply to construction commenced on and after the effective date. RBES applies to all new residential construction, including additions, alterations, renovations, and repairs. The effective dates are as follows:
- Residential Building Energy Standard Base - March 1, 2015
- Residential Building Energy Standard Stretch (applies to all Act 250 projects) - December 1, 2015
Energy Code Materials for Homes Built Starting March 1, 2015
- 2015 Residential Energy Code Handbook (includes both base and stretch codes)
- 2015 Vermont Residential Building Energy Standards - Free Viewable
- 2015 RBES Certificate
- 2015 RBES Owner/Builder Disclosure Statement
- Historic Buildings Exemption Report. This form should be completed and sent to the State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) for approval if compliance with the energy code may adversely affect an historic building.
- REScheck Software This is software designed by the Department of Energy (DOE) to show compliance with the Vermont 2015 Residential Building Energy Standards. Until the 2015 VT REScheck software is available the PSD will accept 2011 VT REScheck with envelopes exceeding 9% or more as complying with the 2015 RBES.
Hard copies of code materials are available free of charge from the Energy Code Assistance Center (toll free #: 855-887-0673).
Energy Code Materials for Homes Built October 1, 2011 -- February 28, 2015
- 2011 Residential Energy Code Handbook
- 2011 Vermont Residential Building Energy Standards Code Handbook
- 2011 RBES Certificate (view only PDF version)
- 2011 RBES Owner/Builder Disclosure Statement
- REScheck Software
Energy Code Materials for Homes Built January 1, 2005 -- September 30, 2011
- 2005 Vermont Residential Building Energy Code Handbook
- 2005 RBES Certificate
- 2005 Instructions for completing RBES certificate
- REScheck Software
Energy Code Material for Homes Built July 1, 1998 -- December 31, 2004
- Energy Code Assistance Center: 1-855-887-0673
- The Residential Energy Services Network (RESNET). Helpful information on home energy rating systems and energy efficient mortgages.
- Energy and Environmental Building Alliance. EEBA promotes the awareness, education and development of energy efficient, environmentally responsible buildings and communities.
- ENERGY STAR Homes Program. Voluntary partnerships with home builders to construct residences that are 30 percent more energy efficient than the current Model Energy Code (MEC).
- Building Green. Articles, reviews, and news stories on energy-efficient, resource-efficient, and healthy building practices. Environmental Building News (EBN) addresses material selection, siting, indoor air quality, day lighting, and other subjects relating to green building practices.
- Home Energy Magazine
- OIKOS Green Building Resource. Information on green building products and materials along with techniques for sustainable design and construction.
For more information please contact Kelly Launder by email, or (802) 828-4039, at the Department of Public Service.