Free hard copies of the updated 2020 Vermont Residential Energy Handbook and/or Codebook will soon be available. Electronic copies of the codebook will also available for purchase through the International Code Council (ICC) website. Please contact the Energy Code Assistance Center on 1-855-887-0673 to receive a free hard copy of the handbook. There will also be a free viewable only copy of the codebook available on the ICC website.
The Vermont Residential Building Energy Standard (RBES) - 30 V.S.A. § 51 affects all new homes built after July 1, 1998. It is the energy code for all residential buildings 3 stories or less above grade in Vermont.
The new 2020 RBES took effect on September 1, 2020, and applies to construction commenced on or after the effective date. RBES applies to all new residential construction, including additions, alterations, renovations, and repairs. This effective date applies to both the RBES Base code and the RBES Stretch code. The RBES Stretch code is used to satisfy criterion 9(f) of all Act 250 projects.
2020 Residential Building Energy Standards (RBES)
DRAFT 2020 Residential Energy Code Handbook (includes both base and stretch codes) This draft version is 99% complete and shall be updated as soon as it is finalized
- 2020 Vermont Residential Building Energy Standards - Free Viewable* (Not Yet Available)
- 2020 RBES Certificate
- 2020 RBES Owner/Builder Disclosure Statement
- Historic Buildings Exemption Report. This form should be completed and sent to the State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) for approval if compliance with the energy code may adversely affect a historic building.
REScheck Software (Note: this is a beta version of REScheck Web™. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you experience any issues with this software.) REScheck™ has been developed by the Department of Energy (DOE) to show compliance with the Vermont 2020 Residential Building Energy Standards.
*Note: if you are having trouble accessing the free viewable version of either RBES online, click on the ICC Digital Codes Library search webpage or go to the ICC Digital Codes Library webpage and search for "Vermont". Then click on "FREE VIEW" under the icon for the 2020 RBES.
2020 RBES Training Videos
Part 1 - Background Information
Part 2 - Code Updates
Online training video from the Energy Code Assistance Center at Efficiency Vermont - 2020 Residential Building Energy Standards for Builders, Architects, and Engineers
2015 Residential Building Energy Standards (RBES)
(For homes built between March 1, 2015, and August 31, 2020.)
- 2015 Residential Energy Code Handbook (includes both base and stretch codes)
- 2015 Vermont Residential Building Energy Standards - Free Viewable*
- 2015 RBES Certificate
- 2015 RBES Owner/Builder Disclosure Statement
- Historic Buildings Exemption Report. This form should be completed and sent to the State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) for approval if compliance with the energy code may adversely affect an historic building.
- REScheck Software This is software designed by the Department of Energy (DOE) to show compliance with the Vermont 2015 Residential Building Energy Standards. Until the 2015 VT REScheck software is available the PSD will accept 2011 VT REScheck with envelopes exceeding 9% or more as complying with the 2015 RBES.
*Note: if you are having trouble accessing the free viewable version of either RBES or CBES online, click on this link or go to https://codes.iccsafe.org/ and search for "Vermont". Then click on "FREE VIEW" under the icon for the 2015 RBES or 2015 CBES.
Hard copies of code materials are available free of charge from the Energy Code Assistance Center (toll free #: 1-855-887-0673).
Energy Code Materials for Homes Built October 1, 2011 -- February 28, 2015
- 2011 Residential Energy Code Handbook
- 2011 Vermont Residential Building Energy Standards Code Handbook
- 2011 RBES Certificate (view only PDF version)
- 2011 RBES Owner/Builder Disclosure Statement
- REScheck Software
Energy Code Materials for Homes Built January 1, 2005 -- September 30, 2011
- 2005 Vermont Residential Building Energy Code Handbook
- 2005 RBES Certificate
- 2005 Instructions for completing RBES certificate
- REScheck Software
Energy Code Material for Homes Built July 1, 1998 -- December 31, 2004
- Energy Code Assistance Center: 1-855-887-0673
- The Residential Energy Services Network (RESNET). Helpful information on home energy rating systems and energy efficient mortgages.
- Energy and Environmental Building Alliance. EEBA promotes the awareness, education and development of energy efficient, environmentally responsible buildings and communities.
- ENERGY STAR Homes Program. Voluntary partnerships with home builders to construct residences that are 30 percent more energy efficient than the current Model Energy Code (MEC).
- Building Green. Articles, reviews, and news stories on energy-efficient, resource-efficient, and healthy building practices. Environmental Building News (EBN) addresses material selection, siting, indoor air quality, day lighting, and other subjects relating to green building practices.
- Home Energy Magazine
- OIKOS Green Building Resource. Information on green building products and materials along with techniques for sustainable design and construction.
- HERS Provider Accreditation Procedure
For more information please contact Kelly Launder by email, or 1-802-828-4039, at the Department of Public Service.